CHRD is hiring!
Chinese Human Rights Defenders—Research Associate
The Network of Chinese Human Rights Defenders (http://chrdnet.org), an independent non-governmental organization working on capacity-building projects and advocacy to strengthen the protection and promotion of human rights in China, seeks a full-time Research Associate.
- working with a research team to produce reports on contemporary human rights issues in China;
- drafting press releases and calls for urgent action;
- preparing submissions to international human rights monitoring mechanisms;
- compiling and editing CHRD’s daily news update, “China Human Rights Briefing”;
- fielding media inquiries, maintaining mailing lists, updating website, and managing social media;
- occasional administrative work, including translation, assistance with grant applications and reporting, and other tasks as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- excellent ability and demonstrated experience in research, writing, and editing in English;
- native fluency in spoken and written English and fluent Mandarin Chinese;
- knowledge of international human rights standards;
- familiarity with contemporary Chinese society, human rights issues and rights activism in China, and Chinese-language media;
- experience with Internet and social media;
- the ability to work independently under tight deadlines with minimal supervision, strong self-motivation and initiative, flexibility regarding work hours, and good teamwork skills.
Compensation and Benefits
$35,000 to $40,000 per year. Compensation will be dependent on experience and skills. Benefits include generous vacation time and sick leave.
Start date is negotiable, but no later than May 1, 2011. Initial employment contract is for one year, with a two-month probationary period.
The Research Associate will preferably be based in Hong Kong or Washington, D.C., or alternatively, in Geneva or Brussels. Hours are flexible, and given varying time zones of locations of staff and volunteers, the Research Associate should expect to occasionally work some late evening and/or early morning hours. Some domestic or international travel may be required as well.
Please send cover letter, resume, names and contact information for two references, and two writing samples in English (one must be three (3) pages or fewer; the other may not exceed 20 pages), to CHRD’s Deputy International Director, Tanya Wang at email@example.com.
Deadline: Applications must be received by MARCH 1, 2011.